The RMS commissioned NICTA in 2014 to develop a new system for its roads report. The report service was previously known as the Key Roads Performance Report that was developed in 2011 and provided quarterly updates in a PDF format. The new Roads Report system aims to provide meaningful information to help inform customer journeys in the Sydney and greater metropolitan area.
The Roads Report system is among the first internationally to produce travel time distribution at 15 minutes intervals. This was achieved by developing a data analytic module for SCATS and GPS data, the outcome from which is then fed to a traffic model for precise travel time estimation.
- The RMS Roads Report is interactive and free to consult . Users can set customised journey criteria such as date, time, route and traffic direction.
- The number of routes has been extended and now covers 124 key routes across NSW.
- Extra data sources have been included in order to improve coverage and accuracy.
- Incidents and major events are described to help understand a change in performance.
- The report can be updated and refreshed daily.